UNITED STATES NAVAL ACADEMY
USNA Alumni Association Colorado Chapter By-Laws
Article I - Name and Location
1. The name of the organization, as recognized by the United States Naval Academy Alumni Association hereafter called the Alumni Association, shall be the Colorado Chapter of the United States Naval Academy Alumni Association, hereafter called the Chapter.
2. The location of this organization shall be the Denver Metro Area, Colorado.
Article II - Membership
1. Regular Member - Any person who has been sworn in as a Midshipman at the Naval Academy and whose service has not been terminated under other than honorable conditions is eligible for membership in this Chapter. He or she becomes a Regular Member of the Chapter, entitled to one vote and to hold office, upon payment of the annual dues as set by the Board of Directors.
2. Associate Member - Persons who have demonstrated active support of the Naval Service, the Naval Academy, or the Alumni Association may be invited to join the Chapter as Associate Members with non-voting privileges. The number of Associate Members shall not exceed ten percent of the Regular Members. Annual dues will be assessed except for widows or widowers of deceased alumni.
3. Any member may be suspended or expelled from membership in the Chapter for due cause by a vote of the Board of Directors, or may resign upon submission of his/her resignation in writing to the Secretary.
Article III - Officers
1. The Officers of the Chapter shall consist of a President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer and Past President. They shall be nominated and elected as herein provided. The term of office shall normally begin on June 1 and end on May 31 three years later.
Article IV - Board of Directors
1. The Board of Directors, hereafter called the Board, shall consist of the Chapter Officers and four other Regular Members elected by the members for two-year terms.
2. Three of the Board shall constitute a quorum.
Article V - Duties
1. The President shall preside at all meetings of the Chapter and of the Board and shall exercise the power and the duties usual to that office.
2. The Vice-President shall perform the duties of the President during his absence.
3. The Secretary shall keep a record of the names and addresses of all the members and also record minutes of the meetings of the Chapter and the Board.
4. The Treasurer shall receive and disburse all funds of the Chapter and keep them safe. He or she shall prepare and present for audit a statement of all receipts, expenditures and fund balances as of May 31 or when requested by the Board.
5. Each Officer may have other duties as assigned and authorized by the Board.
6. The Board shall have general charge and control of the activities and properties of the Chapter not otherwise provided for.
7. Other Regular and Associate Members may be appointed as chairpersons and members of committees and directors of programs and projects as determined by the President with the approval of the Board.
Article VI - Nominations/Elections
1. Candidates for the Offices and Board shall be nominated by a Nominating Committee appointed by the Board and elected by all Regular Members of the Chapter. The nominations should normally be made in April followed by an election in May, to take office in June.
2. Voting may be by any reasonable means. When more than one person is nominated for any one office, the person receiving the greatest number of votes shall be elected. In case two or more persons receive the same number of votes, the tie shall be decided by lot.
Article VII - Amendments
Any Regular Member may propose an amendment to the Mission, or to these Bylaws, at any regular meeting or by formal communication to the Board. The proposed amendment shall be submitted by the Secretary in writing to all members. The proposed amendment must be approved by a two- thirds vote of the members to become effective provided the amendment is in accord with the Mission and Bylaws of the national U. S. Naval Academy Alumni Association.